Friday, January 7, 2011

Brainstorming..

I hate writing open ended papers! I have lots of opinions, but when I'm told to write about ANYTHING I want.. my brain freezes.  I haven't put a ton of thought into what I should write about, but seeing as this post in due in a couple hours, I will write about the first couple of topics that come to mind.

I could write on the importance of not watching R rated movies.  I did not grow up in the church so up until last year I could watch all of the R rated movies I wanted without feeling the slightest bit of guilt.  When I was first told that I should try to refrain from watching them, I was a little disappointed.  I love watching movies, and that puts a big limit on which ones I can actually watch.  So I tried to stop watching them, but occasionally when my mom or one of my friends wanted me to, I would watch one.  I didn't think it was too big of a deal.  I think there are definitely worse things that I could be doing.  My opinion, however, was changed over Christmas break!  I went to go see the Black Swan with my grandmother because she had suggested it, and it was the most awful experience of my life! It was just really inappropriate and awkward.  If I had just stuck to the council of the prophets, I would not put myself in those situations.  Some rated R movies are not that bad (like Slumdog millionaire.. best movie ever!), but why knowingly put yourself in a situation where you can be exposed to completely inappropriate things.  Especially since once you see those things, they will stay in your mind for a long time!

I could also write about hair.  Personally, I don't have anything against beards or hair that goes past your ears.  I like that whole scruffy, surfer look.  Beards do not make people look dirty! Santa has a beard.  Jesus had a beard.  I think its more important to focus on being a good person rather than how long your facial hair is.

And that is all I have come up with so far!

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha, oh my goodness, your paragraph about facial hair made me laugh. I say, depending on how you want to approach your opinion (humorous or serious), you could go with either one. :]

    MEB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your honesty. :) I especially like your first idea. I think it could be a very impacting paper. The other one could be good, but personally, I don't like my hair all that long and I hate being scruffy, but that is just me.

    AEB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your idea about the rated R movies. People here probably have various opinions on the matter, even those who are LDS. I'm sure you could write a really strong and meaningful paper. I think one thing is to keep an open mind, some people are probably really strong in their opinions, so be open to lots of ideas, including your own.

    -mmg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly,
    Those are both great ideas! Using sarcasm with the facial hair honor code would be a very entertaining read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan- Thanks! Haha yeah I guess I will just have to see what I am in the mood to write :p

    AEB- Yeahh I think it all just depends on personal preference! I think if I was a boy I would have a beard just because shaving is annoying! haha

    MMG- Thats true about needing to keep an open mind!! It would be easy to argue for both sides!

    Lizabeth- Haha yeah I think it would be a fun paper to write! Different from most boring research papers we need to write!

    ReplyDelete