Tuesday, January 11, 2011

OpEd

I am not positive if I am going to stick with this topic, but for the sake of this blog post, I am going to write about the importance of taking some fun/ interesting classes.  My audience will be all BYU students, especially incoming freshman.  I've known what I wanted my major to be since the beginning of high school so when I got to college I jumped right into the required classes.  This semester, although I am still taking prereqs, I decided to take some classes that have NOTHING to do with my major, and so far it has been a really wonderful, eye opening experience.  I think that by taking classes dealing with subjects such as art, dance, and philosophy, you can really expand your knowledge about the world and everything that it has to offer us.  Instead of leaving college, knowing solely about one subject, we will have a background in many different subjects.  It helps us to become more knowledgable, well-rounded people.

5 comments:

  1. One very well respected Harvard professor conducted an experiment where he interviewed several hundred Harvard students throughout their college experience, starting with freshman and continuing to monitor them until they graduated. Most of the students who said they had an amazing experience at school told the professor in the interviews that they hadn't taken all general education classes through their freshman and sophomore years of college, they had taken some G.E.s with a mix of lots of different unique classes that would help them explore different subjects. Almost all of the students who told the professor that they didn't really like their college experience at Harvard had gotten all their G.E.s out of the way in their first two years.

    I just want to say that I love your topic, and its is something I truly believe in. I think that taking a variety of classes is a key component in having a good college experience. I know it is something that I am doing now, and I love it. Good luck on your OpEd.

    jcm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you--I think there is a lot to be said on taking a variety of classes in conjunction with those that are required. This is especially relevant at a university like BYU that has such a wide variety of "non-essential" classes that are taught by very skilled people.

    That said, there are certainly people who believe otherwise. Try to anticipate their counterarguments. Great job so far!

    -cbh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this is a wonderful idea. I have no clue what i want to be yet, but all the random branch out classes I've taken have been the most interesting because I've never studied anything like them before. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite oped idea so far! I feel like BYU studens get so caught up in the checklist aspect of college we don't enjoy everything the University has to offer! Can't wait to read this!

    -ER

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for all of your comments!! I definitely think its a good idea for all students to try!! And thank you JCM for sharing that.. thats so interesting and fits perfectly with my idea!!!

    ReplyDelete